Monday, November 16, 2009

Chicken Fricassi

Or, as referred to by my mom, Chicken Frick-n-Frack! I think my mom got this from one of her many cookbooks, but I really can't recall which one and so I'm not going to be able to give credit. This is really good for a lot of food with little money. My mom was the only one with a stable job while I was growing up and she had 6 mouths to feed. This recipe is simple, inexpensive, and my mom fed all 6 of our mouths with some left over! (Ingredients are in bold. This is a slow cooker meal.)

4 bone-in chicken thighs
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp paprika (or until flour looks pink)
dash white pepper (optional.. i always forget it)
at least 1 tsp salt


Mix up in gallon sized ziplock (or whatever is handy) and shake chicken in it to coat.

1 tbsp light oil
1/2 cup an onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped


Heat pan to medium-low heat. Add oil to coat pan. Add onion and celery and cook until semi-tender. Scoop out and set aside. Add more oil to recoat pan. Lightly crisp chicken in pan; DO NOT COOK THROUGH.

2 small cans (10 3/4 oz each) cream of chicken soup

In a crockpot, add 1 can cream of chicken soup.. Lay chicken on top. Lay onions and celery on top of that.
In a bowl or measuring cup, add second can of soup and 1 can's worth of water. Mix up and pour in crockpot to cover everything.
Cook on high for 1 hour.
Reduce to low and cook for 6 hours.
Do not remove lid while cooking.

When time is up, use tong to grab chicken bones. If meat does not fall off the bone, recover and cook on high for 1 more hour.

Stir up contents of crock pot and serve over wide egg noodles (or preferred choice of base, i.e. potatoes, rice, ect.)


Sorry about the lack of pictures for this. I was going to wait until I made it and post it with pictures, but a very good friend of mine wanted to use it and link back to this recipe for anyone who read her blog. So... perhaps I'll post pictures another day and link back to this recipe in the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment